Thursday, June 16, 2005

a visit with the dying

The visit I made this afternoon was to an eighty-nine year old woman whose liver is enveloped by cancer. She has moved home with her daughter and son-in-law. I went to visit her today because I wanted to see her before God takes her home.

I am not sure what I expected to find. Some things were as they always are with her. She was impeccably dressed, her hair was styled as if she had just left the salon and her makeup was perfect. As usual. I have never seen her look any differently...even in the hospital.

She was seated in her chair with a welcoming smile. When I reached over to hug her, it was immediately apparent she was glad to see us. I felt better.

We talked about how she was feeling--much better now--and what she was doing--I am waiting to die. There was no sound of anger or regret or fear. She was merely verbalizing the obvious, and letting us know it was okay.

Simply put, she is ready to go. Her mind is sharp, her memory fine. She is surrounded by her wonderful family who loves her, with minor pain controlled by advil, and now has only time to reflect upon God's faithfulness and to look forward to heaven.

She may have days--perhaps a few months-- but it probably won't be long.

She is dying...dying to be with the Lord.

I can't wait to see her again next week.

No comments: