Wednesday, June 29, 2005

FIRE

Someone called my home just a few minutes ago to tell me there was a fire movng near our property. She said fire trucks were already on site and suggested maybe we should water the ground around our office complex.

I am here having just surveyed the potential damage. The fire appears to be about one-half mile away and, at least for the moment, burning under control.

How do you put out a fire when it gets near you? when it begins to touch what is near and dear to you?

Overhead are helicopters carrying loads of water and firetrucks pointing pressure hoses at the bellowing flames.

And here am I, with 100 feet of hose and a squirt of water, trying to defend a 4000 square office space against a potentially ravaging fire.

I sat with someone in a hospital room last night for several hours. Her life is literally being devastated by the flames of addiction and anger.

What I have to offer on my own is a "squirt" of worldly advice and counsel. But overhead and around me are specially-outfitted firetrucks and load-carrying helicopters of fresh water that can truly bring hope and relief from the fire of a hot wind or smoldering embers .

It is the divine counsel of God--and the storehouse of His riches--that speaks hope and relief in the midst of our tests and trials.

Bring on the helicopters!

No comments: