Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A FULL HEART...AND A FULL DESK

Sometime going away for an extended period of time--I was gone nine days on my recent trip--is bittersweet. It is wonderful being gone from the rigors of routine and responsibility but it is challenging to come home to...a full desk.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Moody Pastor's Confrence in Chicago. The weather was marginal but everything else was just what I needed--personal time with my wife, great messages from excellent speakers, stirring worship with 1499 other pastors, helpful workshops, and time for reflection. My heart was full.

I was so moved by my time at the conference that I found myself reluctant to leave...even though I was headed to Dallas for time with my four children and three grandchildren who are in that general vicinity. But the time with family was beyond description and I found my heart full of love and thankfulness to God for the family with which He has blessed me.

So I found myself reluctant to leave Owen, Camilla and JJ, my three grandchildren.

But my heart was anxious to be home and back on the job with the people God has called me to serve.

Until I saw my full desk--full at home and at my office--with mail, phone messages, e-mails to answer, appointments to schedule, visits to make. And just for a moment...my heart sank.

Now, after over four hours at the office ( I came in about 6:15 a.m.) and four unscheduled visits, WAY BEHIND the schedule I foolishly made, I confess my heart and desk are both full. I have been reminded that this is the ministry God made me for, and I would not have it any other way.

Full speed ahead!

1 comment:

Keith Kerr said...

Welcome back to your blog fan-base.