Monday, June 20, 2005

a quilt and some plants

Bev and I had two tasks on our day off today--hang a quilt and plant some plants in a new section of our garden (actually, it's my garden, she has her "own" section).

Both of these tasks are the result of two visits last week--one made to me, and one Bev and I made together. Someone came to my office carrying a beautiful homemade quilt inscribed on the back for me. I was moved to tears as she handed it to me.

Bev and I visited a senior citizen last week and as we said "good-bye" to her daughter she gave us a guided tour of her pond and gardens. She offered us "starts" of about ten different plants, which we gratefully received, carried home and kept alive until today when we could plant them.

When I walk down my hall now I see this beautiful quilt of an American flag with the words
"One nation under God". When I step off my deck and look over my garden I see a small plot planted with Barbara's "starts" and I know in a couple of weeks they will be vibrant with color.

A quilt and some plants--daily reminders of special people who share their life...and their stuff with me. I am a blessed man.

No comments: