Saturday, April 30, 2005

NOT DRESSED PROPERLY

I was asked to pray an invocation for a graduation for a teenager from our church. He is home-schooled and it was presented as an informal gathering of his buddies--I was there with about six of his buddies from church--eating Chinese food together.

I wore one of my better shorts, a polo shirt and some "dressy" sandals (now there's an oxymoron) and arrived early with his buddies.

The family met us in formal wear, the subject of the celebration had a suit and tie (I was unaware he owned one) and everyone else was dressed in a way that made me want to find a corner to hide--not stand ceremoniously before the crowd, as I was asked to do.

Ever feel like that...under-dressed? conspicuously out of place? Not a pleasant feeling, even though the host covered for me nicely.

I know one thing. I don't want to feel that way when God calls me. Not enough oil in my lamp (Matthew 25), or like the wedding guest in Matthew 22, of whom it was asked, "How did you get in here without wedding clothes?"

The man was specechless, scripture records, and literally thrown out.

They let me stay, even let me give my speech.

But one day it will matter what clothes I am wearing...Paul says, "Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ", Romans 13:14.

So remember to be dressed properly for that day, clothed with "compassion, kindness, humility. gentleness and patience", Colossians 3:12.

No comments: