Monday, April 18, 2005

BACK TO THE REAL WORLD

We ariived in Sacramento about 10:30 p.m. Saturday and were home in bed by 1:00 a.m. Sunday, or, 4 a.m. cruise time, since we flew back from Ft. Laurderdale, Florida. Then I was up at 6:00 a.m. with three speaking services on Sunday, lunch with friends, an examination of our completed church foundation (PTL!) and home by 3 p.m. yesterday. Wow! In spite of all that I feel refreshed and excited to be home this morning.

I merely mention all of those things to tell you that this is part of my real world, and I love it! Yes, cruising was fantastic--Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Martens, Bahamas--all beautiful. On board highlights like basketball, swimming, jacuzzi, walking track, miniature golf, live music, excellent stage productions, on-board shopping, food (and more food!)--not to mention being royally spoiled with room service, cabin cleanup, a balcony view of the ocean-- were just a part of the daily fare. Special for me was the opportunity to be with Bev's mother (the provider of our trip--thanks, mom) and her siblings and their mates, eight of us all together.

But life is not a cruise, as I suggested to our church family on Sunday. Any attempt to "market" the gospel as a trip insulated from the everyday real world challenges--hard work, physical challenges, financial responsibilities, relationship struggles, etc.--is non-scriptural. In Sunday School I spoke from John 17 wjhere Jesus prays to His Father, forecasting the struggles we as believers would face, asking God to "protect us", but vowing to send us into the world--a world, Jesus says, will hate us.

And so Sunday I was reminded of what the real world is like. Someone is facing open-heart surgery and he is 85; another's mother is dying. A board member is afflicted with so much chronic back pain he couldn't make it to church. A young man told me he needed money because his family is going through an unemloyment crisis. An alcoholic sits outside our church and asks for money each Sunday. Sadly, but surely, this is the real world.

And so with my feet on terra firma (I was a little shakey transitioning from the cruise deck), I re-enter the real world with a commitment that this is the life to which God has called me...and I welcome it.

No comments: