Wednesday, April 20, 2005

HAIRCUTS AND OTHER CHANGES

I have been going to the same barber for the last eight years. It is a matter of comfort and convenience because he knows best how to obscure my thinning hair. I learned a month ago he is moving away and, alas, I had to find someone new to undertake the task of shielding my baldness.

And so this morning, armed with information that someone in my congregation is a new hair stylist, I called her and asked, "Do you have a spot for me in your schedule?" She cheerfully assured me she would see me at 4:00 p.m. and so I approached the "dreaded" time with a corresponding amount of apprehension.

Well, she was delightful. I had not seen her for some time and so we got re-acquainted and, in the meantime, she did a masterful job of preserving my shameful pride.

We dread change and often approach it with uncertainty and dread. We are comfortable with the way things are. And, then, the change comes and with it, new opportunities, new challenges, even new friends.

I came home, anxious to hear my wife's response. She didn't disappoint me. She said, "Your hair looks short.. (help!) ...but it looks really good!" I have scheduled an appointment three weeks from now for another haircut. Same place. I don't want to change hair stylists now!

1 comment:

Peter Bogert said...

One of the truly great traumas of male life. I feel your pain. I'm locked in to a guy who is edging closer to retirement. I may have to go back to the Amazing FlowBee after he retires!