Thursday, April 07, 2005

GOING AWAY...I think

Because of the generosity of my wife's mom, we are leaving today for a week away on a cruise. I should be excited but I am having mixed emotions as we pack this morning.

So much is in the air--a friend's business in trouble, a marriage headed for divorce, a building with concrete about to be poured, a church outreach struggling with personnel concerns, a friend facing surgery, an community-wide evangelistic emphasis in the planning stages, and some potentially-troubling family news--and I am going on vacation!

Bev and I have laughed before and said, "Every time we plan to go away, crisis comes!" And it is no different this time.

So what's my problem?

Do I think I should be insulated from trouble? Does this look different than the usual spectrum of concerns in a normal pastoral day? Do I think I am indispensable and that things will flounder while I am gone? Do I think God can't manage without me?

Well, the right answer to all of those questions shouold be a resounding "no". But I have this issue of pride and a selfishly-marred understanding of my role as a pastor. After thirty-seven years I should know better.

We have a great team on staff at Grace and a caring body of believers. More importantly, this is God's work, and He is in control.

So I am going away, but the good news is, God is staying!

No comments: