Thursday, March 03, 2005

YARD WORK...and God's work

Friends are coming tomorrow for lunch so that means the yard must be perfect--no stray blades of grass, no untended weeds, no unnecessary dirt on the driveway, no lack of attention to details. What makes it even more labor intensive is the knowledge that my brother has bragged on my yard so his friends are coming to take a look.

My theology tells me that Jesus is coming,looking for a "glorious church without spot or wrinkle". I am a part of that body and I often wonder how well I am preparing for His return. Am I concerned about the weeds and the dirt? Have I paid attention to the details of my relationship with Him? Oh, I know, I hear you saying "But what about grace?"

I love my brother and so I am motivated to pay attention to the things that matter to him. He likes my yard--so having it in order, even though it may require special effort on my part, is a pleasure. Besides, I love yard work.

I love Jesus and I want to be ready for His return. Besides, I love doing His work... So John's words regarding Christ's return ring in my ears, "Everyone who has this hope in him, purifies himself just as He is pure." I John 3:3.

No comments: