Monday, March 14, 2005

MONDAY MUSINGS

I always have a myriad of emotions when I reflect upon the Lord's Day. I am usually exhausted so I have to filter my thoughts through that inescapable reality. As I sit at my computer this morning some thoughts come to mind...

*There are people missing each Sunday that I know are in the midst of crisis and conflict and I wonder how they are doing and whether or not we are doing enough to support them.

*There are people visiting for the first time and I am curious whether they feel welcomed and if the emphasis we place on the Word of God meets their needs.

*There are people attending whose demeanor and faces tell me that all is not well and I am concerned about how I should respond in providing pastoral care.

*There are people who verbalize their concerns about family members, personal needs and upcoming surgeries, and I am anxious that I not forget these in my prayers when I say, "We will be praying for you".

*There are people who need "on the spot" attention and so we wander from the crowd to an elusive quieter place to share and I trust we minister to them in that moment of expressed need.

*There are people who simply need a hug, or, "I am glad you are feeling better", or "Is your sister's health improving?" or, "Did you find a job?" I try to remember what is important to them but as the congregation grows, it is harder to remember.

That's the thing about the ministry--"there are people"--and it is what makes me want to do it again this week.

No comments: