Saturday, March 26, 2005

WAITING FOR A BABY

We were awakened at 4:00 a.m. this morning by my son-in-law reporting that they were at the hospital and the baby would be "arriving" any moment. Bev and I prayed after he hung up--two thousand miles away in Dallas--that they baby would "arrive" whole and healthy.

I have been largely non-functional since, waiting for the news of the baby's birth. At 7:30 a.m.--three hours later--TJ, the expectant father--called and then handed the phone to my daughter so she could soothe the frazzled nerves of an anxious father (she know me well). The baby, as I write, has not arrived yet but mother reports she is in little pain and the moment will come soon enough. "So don't worry, dad".

Waiting--not my strong suit. But it is an unavoidable component of life. The familiar encouragement of Isaiah 40:31 resonates in my mind. "They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength" (KJV) or "Those that hope in the Lord will renew their strength" (NIV). "Waiting" and "hoping" are linked together in the Hebrew. We can wait because we have this hope that God will deliver what He has promised in His time. And the process is one that strengthens us...as we wait.

So I am waiting...and I will give you the report of what we hoped for when he arrives (yes, we know he is a boy, our ninth grandchild!)

No comments: