Tuesday, July 26, 2005

praying together

A recent survey suggested that the number one reason people come to church is to pray.

I have wondered about that survey. The most difficult service to get people to attend--at least at Grace Fellowship where I pastor--is a prayer service. Specially-scheduled corporate times of prayer are not well-attended.

I am assuming that the corporate prayer that accompanies the regular Sunday worship experience--one that fits into the already-established program--is what is being alluded to in this survey. "So you are at church on Sunday...what's the most important thing you do there?" "Pray".

Recently at Grace I have felt a reinvigorated sense of the importance and effectiveness of corporate prayer. Maybe that is in direct proportion to our elevated sense of need. In any case, we are praying more in the context of our worship service with a heightened level of participation.

Next Sunday, July 31st, I will be preaching on th subject, "A Den of Robbers or a House of Prayer?" It is a part of my continuing personal examination of the purpose and primacy of prayer in the life of the body of Christ.

Why do you come to church? Will I see you there?

No comments: