Wednesday, July 27, 2005

CUTTING OFF THE FLOW

We have a beautiful pond on our church property filled with goldfish and situated just outside my office. Today as I walked outside following a meeting I noticed that the pond was almost empty.

The pond's plastered finish is old and has several cracks in it so we keep water flowing into it to counteract the slow drainage. Much to my chagrin I could see the pond had no incoming water and the surrounding flowers, that depend on the allied drip system, were dry and parched from the extreme heat as well.

I found out someone had turned off the water system because of some noise the system was making, probably due to air in the lines. Unfortunately, they forgot to turn it back on and we almost had scorched roses and fried gold fish!

When nothing is coming in...and much is going out...we can be left parched and dry, even empty. We need the continual inflow of God's mercy and grace--His power and provision--to keep functioning in a way that honors Him.

The water is on, the pond is filling, and the flowers are showing renewed color and life.

So am I today, because I have been in God's Word (His word is in me) and filled afresh with his presence as we communed together this morning in prayer. I have been encouraged by the supportive input of a Christian brother and energized by the many things God is doing at Grace.

Don't cut off the flow!

No comments: