Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It's hot!

We have had a relatively cool summer with weather in the mid-eighties...until recently. Just the last two weeks the temperature has been perching perilously close to the 100 degree mark. And that's hot, no matter whether it's dry heat or wet heat (like Texas, where the humidity makes it feel like 110 degrees).

When it gets hot, I notice several things happen to me.
1. My energy level drops.
2. I look for a cooler place.
3. I generally deliberately decrease my activity level.

It makes sense to observe all of the above because we need to rehydrate, find a cool place (if possible) and see if we can't back off our pace for awhile.

What happens when life "heats up", when there is an accelerated sense of the urgent and demanding...when trouble comes?

Here's what often happens to me.
1. I get excited and flush with misdirected emotion and energy.
2. I descend deeper into the fire.
3. I subconsciously increase my activity level trying to put out the fire.

What would happen when it "heats up" if I responded like I do to the warmer weather.
1. Take a break and evaluate what's happening.
2. Get away from the "fire" and change perspective.
3. Deliberately cease from my "fanning the flames" and look to God for help.

"For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in his dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of the tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." Psalm 27:5

No comments: