Saturday, December 27, 2008

that was the week that was...

Is this how you remember Christmas?

Let's see--special worship services, kid's rehearsals, banquets, parties, gift-shopping, gift exchanges, gift returns, travel, cooking, wrapping, relatives...???

None of those things in and of themselves are bad, but the cumulative effect can be overwhelming. A purposeful and intentional management of time and a careful refocusing of attnenion on what truly matters helps...but the incessant expectations of the season are hard to ignore.

We traveled to San Luis Obispo to visit Bev's two sons and eight of our eleven grandchildren. Unfortunately, three of the four adults were sick and several of the children were fighting bad colds. I think a little viral breeze was in the air as well.

We managed to work between the two households, loved the grandchildren, carried the baby around (I think that's where I caught my cold),and generally enjoyed our quick trip. Bev's son who is a pastor is just coming out of a busy season and Bev's other son who is a small business owner is trying to manage the challenges of a diminishing economy. All in all, it was fast and fun time to be with family. We went to bed the final night both nursing sore throats and several days later Bev is still sick in bed with whatever she caught for Christmas.

We sandwiched in a long day at Stockton with my family--dinner, gift exchange, movie and a meaningful tiem of sharing together. Both my sister (broken arm) and brother (diabetes) are nursing fairly serious injuries so there was a shadow of concern that enevloped our time together.

So it is two days after Christmas. I resisted the temptation to take down the tree and box up the decorations (I did pack away the Christmas cd's which we have recyclced too many times). I want to savor the seaosn for a few more days and not get lost in "the week that was".

After all, this season represents more than a day, more than a week--it points to a pivotal day in history that potentially affects every other day and week we live.

I think I'll return to my easy chair and look at the Christmas lights one more time.

No comments: