Monday, December 01, 2008

glasses


I recently had my annual eye check--thirty months actually--and was relieved to find I had no glaucoma or signs of diabetes-related eye disease.


Close inspection revealed a cataract forming on my right eye, but my left eye was almost 20/20. Between the two eyes and the resultant correction--one sees better at a far distance and another up close..what's with that?)--I can merge the two and see pretty well. I have about 2-3 years before the cataract has to be dealt with, and I am more than willing to wait.


I have trouble in the morning focusing. Either the sleep in my eyes has sealed them, when I have slept well, or, the morning light is almost blinding, when I have tossed and turned all night. The eyes, I am discovering, are a sensitive commodity, and they deserve my care and attention.


The new glasses are bifocals and require a downward look when I read and an upward posture when I am looking ahead. Sometimes I get confused and the resultant fogginess and stumbling make me feel like I am in the advanced stages of "senioritis". When I steady my focus--as prescribed by my vision correction--I get around fine.


I think I need new glasses for the new year. All too often my perception of things up close gets "fogged" because I look through the lens of long distance and think, "It's never going to change". On the other hand, occasionally I take a look at the long-term through my up-close lens and I mutter to myself, "This process will be too painful".


Once in awhile I get it right. I take a look at the short-term through the right lens and I can see the value in the process in which I am engaged. Occasionally, as well, I peer anxiously at the long term and realize that meaningful change does not happen overnight, and I draw a deep breath and thinking about ebjoying the ride.


Christmas is coming; I'll take a new pair of glasses!






No comments: