Saturday, May 07, 2005

SARAH, AN UNLIKELY MODEL

I wanted to preach a Mother's Day sermon that was something other than the traditinal Proverbs 31, as amazing as that text is.

I was drawn to I Peter 3:3-6 where he suggests Sarah as a model--"like Sarah...you are daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

I studied the life of Sarah this week, sandwiched between the overwhelming story of Abraam, the Fathe of the Hebrew nation. What emerges for me is a flawed but fiaithful model of motherhood.

I addressed four areas--her beauty...bane or benefit; her faith...fact or fiction; her struggles...saint and sinner; her ministry...mate and mother.

For all of our mothers, happy Mother's Day!

(Our sermons are available on tape from our church office, Box 850, Jackson California 95642)

No comments: