Friday, May 13, 2005

A messy situation

Messy situations are daily for most of us, aren't they? They are the kind where things happen--often, over which we have little or no control--and leave us asking questions like, "How did I get to this point?" and "How do I get out of this?"

Rehearshing the history of how we arrived at a "mess" may or may not be productive. I am convinced that we just cannot see some things coming. We may have prayed for God's direction--felt confident we had it--moved ahead, and then experienced "all hell break loose".

What I am left with is the idea that messes are a necessary part of life and God allows them and doesn't cause them to evaporate with a holy "Be gone!" but, instead, looks to see how we will respond.

If we respond by leaning wholly upon God, there is much potential good to be gained, I have learned. When I am angry and rebellious against God for His failure to intervene, things usually get messier.

I have been in the middle of a mess this week, but as the week grinds to a halt, I sense that God is doing something good in me. No, the situation has not gone away. In fact, it remains.

But so does God. That gives me hope for tomorrow...and future messes.

No comments: