Wednesday, May 04, 2005

ALLERGIES

I have been rubbing my itching eyes all morning. I know it is not helpful to do that; in fact, it makes my eyes worse. They get puffy and swollen and it looks like I just had a good cry.

It is the pollens in the air and any kind of dust that effects me this way. I prepare for it in April but rains have delayed ir regionally here for me in May.

Some things are beyond my control. I can't work with blinders and I can't go around with a mask over my mouth since my eyes and mouth are vital to my study and work.

What do I do? Just endure it, moan and groan, rub my eyes, and carry on.

There are alot of things in life that we probably can't change. It may even be in areas that nag at us and make us uncomfortable. But they are written into the fabric of our lives.

We can rub our eyes and feel bad for a moment--even moan and groan--but the problems will still be there. I have exhausted my resources trying to find an antidote for my annual battle without success. It is pretty much out of my control.

So this morning I am trying to prepare for my sermon and fighting allergies. My temptation is to "chuck it" and sit in a corner until my eyes stop itching.

I have, however, decided that my allergies aren't leaving--my discomfort is here to stay--and so I am refocusing my itchy eyes on the task before me. It is wasted energy to lament what I cannot change, and to cease to be productive.

On to my sermon preparation.

No comments: