Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Once a pastor,always a pastor

I was raised in a Christian home where my father pastored for almost forty years until his untimely death at age 66.  For forty-six years I was a pastor.  So for about 57 of my 65 years I either lived with a pastor or I served as a pastor.  You could say it's in my blood.

I'd rather say it's in my heart.

I don't have a church that I lead any more. I don't team together with a staff of people to provide guidance for a body of believers.  I don't have a group of people who see me and say "Hi, Pastor Dale" any more.  It feels different.

But I am not different.  My heart still wants to pastor.  And I've discovered that in some ways I will always have that opportunity.

I am a pastoral counselor and this morning I have two former parishioners and a former client by phone.  I really was functioning in the familiar role of sharing the Word of God with someone with an express need. As a pastor I loved doing that and I loved and cared for the flock God had entrusted to my care.

The setting is different.  The responsibilities are reduced.  I am part-time, without formal pastoral responsibility.

But my heart is still full-time.  And I am figuring out joyfully how to continue to share the wisdom of God's Word with those God sends my way.


No comments: