Thursday, November 05, 2009

What...me worry?


Alfred E. Neumann, a fictional person of the past, prompted those words--"What...me worry?" For me, the answer is a sad, but self-effacing, "yes!"


Someone phoned me this morning and they were worried about a set of circumstances they were facing, and they had some legitimate cause for concern. My default response--one that I believe in my heart--was to remind them of Philippians 4:6 and 7, "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of Goid which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


And we prayed together over the phone--another thing I recognize as essential in dealing with the ravages of worry--I felt a calmness and a sense of God's peace enter our conversaion together.


So, here I am, sitting in front of my computer, confessing my worry over a littany of things, admittedly, things over which I have no control. They are things which run the gamut of family issues, church challenges and personal concerns.


And I am worrying...


I just picked up my Bible, read Philippians 4:6ff for the umpteenth time, and bowed my head in prayer before God.


As I prepare for a funeral service in another fifty minutes, I am glad to report that God has brought some peace to my heart once again.


"What...me worry?"


Probably, I will again.


But for now, I am grateful for God's transcendent peace.

No comments: