Tuesday, November 24, 2009

met needs

I worked with a family yesterday who were displaced due to crsis that threatened their safety. It was my day off but because I knew the family and was aware how critical the situation was, I plunged into it with confidence.

Why was I confident? I thought of all the people I knew who would be willing to help and a catastrophe--which it continues to be because it reflects a broken home--was diminished for the moment by the realization of how great the family of God is...

*Housing was found for the family while they awaited a longer-term solution

*A suitable rental was located, and offered "free for six months" until the family gets established

*A friend to clean the very dirty carpets was located and changed his schedule to accomodate their needed transitional timetable

*Someone donated a refrigerator to be used while they were in the apartment...and offered to deliver it

*People who don't know the family have offered to help them move

*Food from the church perishable pantry will help them get through the next few weeks

All of this happened within the space of six hours--from the time we heard the news to the signing of papers with PGE and the water company to get them settled by week's end.

My confidence is not in myself, but in a God who promises to "supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory."

And He is a God who can fix families, too. Keep praying with me.

No comments: