Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The pursuit of eschatological truth


For Christians eschatology (the study of "last things") remains one of the most challening areas of study. Due to its imagery and apocalyptic content, agreement about interpretation is not easily reached among scholars. As I am preaching through I Thessalonians I am confronted in chapter four with the idea of a "rapture" and the debate about whether or not it is a spearate event frorm the second coming.

Last week I preached from 4:13-18 and affirmed the pretribulational rapture position that I, as well as our church statement of faith, embrace. My reading and preparatory study was fascinating as I surveyed a wide array of opinions and comments, some of which labeled opposing views as "heretical". I would have to admit that there are some perspectives that seem far-fetched, but the honest debate about dispensationalism and the teaching of the Word regarding Israel and the church--does the church replace Israel in prophecy is a critical question--leaves room for healthy dialogue.

Without dismissing these conversations, I want to make a few observations from my study of I Thessalonians that are critical for me personally, independent of one's eschatological stance.

1. We should look forward to Christ's return, I Thessalonians 1:10.

2. Christ's return will usher us into the rpesence of our Lord Jesus; that is our hope and joy, I Thessalonians 2:19.

3. We will be with the Lord forever, I Thessalonians I Thessalonians 4:17.

4. We are to encourage one another with this hope, I Thessalonians 4:18.

As you work your way through the details of eschatology, don't get stuck along the way. Keep focused on the certainty Christ's return--regardless of the chronology of events--"for we shall see Him as He is. Everyone who has this hope in Him purifies Himself just as He is pure." I John 3:3.

The pursuit of eschatological truth should not deter us from living living holy lives; it should, in fact, make us more determined to walk even more closely with the One we long to see.

1 comment:

LiseWickPhotography said...

ok I have a practical question...details details....so if we're going to be caught up in the clouds with Him, then what happens to our earthly bodies? I have this image in my head that is a little strange. Hmmm.