Tuesday, May 05, 2009

an unsung hero


I recently did a memorial service for an elderly man who had been away from our church family for several years. He had moved to a care facility as he battled dementia and other physical challenges.


My memories of Jim were that he was very interested in the "end times" and frequently asked me questions about the book of Revelation and other eschatological sections of scripture. He also had a concern about the general moral degradation that was afflicting our country.

After Jim died I met his wife to prepare for his service, Iwas astounded to find out a number of things that deepened my love and admiration for Jim.

*He was an orphan, later adopted after living in numerous foster homes.
*He was a veteran of WW II and had gfought at the Battle of the Bulge and Normandy...he was one of those guys depicted on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, who bravely stormed the beach there under heavy enemy fire.
*He was discharged from the service due to an injury, but late re-enlisted!
*He was a taxi cab driver whose acts of kindness as a Good Samaritan were written up several times in local newspapers.
*He helped build one of our area churches.

I thought to myself, "You just never know..." When we paid homage to Jim I thought of him in a different way than I had remembered him before--an unsung hero. He never had much notoriety, and though he received several awards for distinguished military service, those exploits were unknown to most of us.

We are the beneficiaries of the sacrifices of men like Jim.

And I "sing" my thanks for him today.

No comments: