Thursday, May 07, 2009

did you pray today?


Today I attended a breakfast for The Nationaal Day of prayer at a local church. There was a good attendance from various churches in the community--I guess we do all believe in prayer--and the aroma of good food and fellowship.

Following a Hospice meeting where we spent some time determining how to make more effective reports to ensure the continued funding of Medicare for Hospice care (a program favored by the current administration) we render in Amador County, I sat down at my computer to read a maelstrom of letters decrying the President's refusal to host a National Day of Prayer breakfast...with a number of other caveats added on reflecting the particular political mindset of those expressing their concerns.

At the end of sorting through all of this, I asked myself a few questions?

1. Does the President's sanctioning of a prayer breakfast enhance the value of prayer?

2. Is it significant that it takes a breakfast or a prescribed national event to get us as local churches to join together in prayer?

3. Is a "National Day of Prayer" enough? Will I be satisfied that we did this at least once this year?

4. Will it take a greater national calamity--if there is indeed one greater than what we are currently facing--to be a catalyst for more days of prayer?

5. If I chose not to go to a National prayer event like the one today, did I think to pray at home today for my country?

And what about tomorrow...and any and every day...?

No comments: