Friday, May 01, 2009

coma in coloma


Afte church last sunday Bev and I, under threat of unruly weather, left for nearby Coloma (an hour's drive), an area rich in the lustre of the history of the discovery of gold. My mind was swirling with a mixture of messages from parisioners needing help or direction and a list of last minute tasks I needed to complete. When I took off with my wife and our travel trailer one hour later my heart was pounding and my mind was racing.

Finally--an hour later-- we arrived at Coloma, specifically Coloma Resort, nestled along the south fork of the American River. In a campground large enough to accommodate groups of 500 plus, there were a handful of RVs and ours, and the quiet serenity of a mostly blue sky, gentle breezes and a melodic river to serenade us.

We unpacked and survived a few challenges with the trailer, mostly the result of my novice status as an RV officiando and my general mechanical ineptness. We were finally situated about 4 p.m. and relaxed in the comfortable confines of our "home away from home".

What happens when I get away like this is that for periods of time I am comatose--literally unaffected by anything around me, and generally impervious to any possible disruptions. I "tune out", having left my computer at home, and, in this case, cannot even operate my omnipresent I-Phone--a huge relief for my wife.

So it is three glorious days of doing little productive but investing in walking and talking with Bev, reading, journaling, sitting in solitude, reflecting and praying...and sleeping.

On the eve of our departure--we will leave in the morning--I feel rejuvenated and revitalized once again. I have emerged from my "coma", and am ready to return to reality and all of its glorious sounds and challenges.

All possible because of my coma in Coloma...

3 comments:

Jim Floyd said...

You need more rejuvenation periods in your life. Someday, Laura and I would like to go with you guys. We could rent our own RV and tag along.

Myron Burk said...

Dale,
I am not sure this is the Dale Barrett that was my Pastor in Duncanville, Texas. If so please write back. I have wondered for so many years where you were.
Myron

Unknown said...

Myron, It is me. Dale. Send me an address.