Friday, January 03, 2014

Pain and Suffering

Three factors, seemingly unrelated, have converged in my life and are giving me pause to reflect at the outset of this new year.

1.  I have been reading WALKING WITH GOD THROUGH PAIN AND SUFFERING by Tim Keller, one of my favorite authors.  His sensitive and scholarly approach to a  difficult subject have challenged me to carefully rethink how I deal with those I counsel who are experiencing suffering.

2.  Some friends gave Beverly and me two cds with the testimony of Darlene Rose--"I Will Never Leave Thee"--a former missionary who suffered greatly and is now with the Lord.  Her words of courage and confidence literally "blew me away".  I can't think of any other words to accurately describe my response as I listened intently driving home from Northern California after Christmas.

3.  My dear friend, Joel, was diagnosed two days ago with a large brain tumor, probably malignant, and he faces surgery and chemo in the upcoming days.  Joel is married and has two young sons--he is about forty and just beginning a new ministry--and now he is facing, perhaps, the greatest challenge of his young life.  His trust in God is unshaken and we are believing God for His strength, grace and healing in the days ahead.

Pain and suffering are everywhere I look.  In my own life I have had comparatively little of either but in what I have experienced God's grace has been more than enough to get through. The "bonus" is that there are some lessons I have learned in those times that have been life-changing.  I am not sure I would have learned them any other way.

I recommend the book, and I encourage listening to Darlene's vibrant testimony.  I ask you, as well, to join with me in prayer for Joel and his family as they journey through these difficult days.  Most of all, if you're going through a  time of pain and suffering, my prayer is that you will remember--as God is reminding me--that His Son suffered for us, that He understands our suffering.  I pray, too, that you will discover His promised grace and help.  Hebrews 4:16.

No comments: