Thursday, August 04, 2011

A day at the doctor's office...


My doctor is a personal friend and I value him in many ways. He is very patient with me because I have a natural dread of doctors and doctor's offices. I have introduced him before as my doctor and he has responded increduously, "I am?" That's because my visits are probably too infreqquent and I am not a very good patient.

Today was my doctor's appointment--time for my annual physical. I was to have gone last October for a checkup but waited until now to get in to see him. I was smotivated by my twin brother's recent recent physical challenges to get the blood work in, and to see the doctor...my friend.

He greeted me with a smile and shared the results of my lab reports--almost all improved and overall encouraging. I asked him about a minor ache and reported my at home blood pressure--since my office blood pressure spikes at the mere thought of seeing the doctor...my friend. Go figure.

He suggested a minor change in the plan of treatment and sent me home with a general "Well done." I have been watching my diet and exercsing--something all diabetics should do--and the results were rewarding.

I thought of Matthew's record of Jedsus' words, "The well don't need a doctor...it is the sick who need a doctor." I am convinced I need a doctor because I am prone to physical problems due to my genetics and general level of stress, notwithstanding my general self-care (though better now).

Jesus, the Great Physician, came for those who were spiritually sick and needy--I know that means me. When I follow His directions from the Word, and when I engage in the exercises of reading, praying and sharing, I can hear His gentle, "Well done". There have been times when His Word has exposed my spiriual ills and failures. Still, He always encourages me, and directs me in ways I can move forward in dealing with the illness of sin all of us have.

A day at the doctor's office turned out good for me this time. I want every day with Jesus to be the same experience. I want to hear Him say, "Well done, Dale..."

No comments: