Thursday, April 01, 2010

What is "good" about Good Friday?


Of all the semantical mysteries encountered by "wordmiths" who view this day in history from a secular vantage point, this has to be at the top of the list. How can Christians observe the brutal execution of their "founder" and call the remembrance of that of that bloodletting "Good Friday"?

Paul writes in I Corinthians 1:18, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

The "good" in Good Friday is impossible to see with eyes that have not been opened to the unbridled sinfuness of man, Jesus' atoning work on the cross for man's sins, and a loving God reaching out to fallen man. "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were stioll sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8.

On Good Friday (and countless other days as well) I will grieve the costliness of my salvation--what it cost the Father to send His Son to stand in my place--take my sin upon Himself, bear my punishment on the cross, suffering excruciating death to pay sin's penalty--for me.

But I will rejoice, as well. I am the grateful recipient of God's grace...and that is "good: for me...and for all who place their faith and trust in Christ's atoning work on the cross.

No comments: