Wednesday, March 24, 2010

chaise lounges


Last summer we bought two outdoor chaise lounges for our deck at a close-out sale from Smith-Hawkins. They were in boxes requiring assembly and they have been hibernating in our garage during the last six months , waiting for the emergence of spring.

We have been talking about assembling them and last night when I came home from work I considered the task I had talked about the previous day--but never got to. I was tired after a twelve hour day, and ready, following a great home-cooked dinner, to settle into my easy chair for an evening of senseless television.

But I thought about those two chaise lounges secure in their shipping boxes, unable to be employed in that state. The cost of releasing them would be the delayed gratification of my easy chair, but the reward of proceeding with their unveiling would be the immediate applause of my wife and the "sooner than later" utilization of them on our deck.

I opted for the garage and the assembly process, and spurred on by my wife's affirmation "Go, Dale!", I finished the task in an hour.

So what's the big deal? Two chaise lounges?

I made a decision to satisfy my wife and not gratify my own selfish desires> I determined to do something productive rather than mindless. and the benefit--though immediate at one level--will be enjoyed long term...if I followed the directions correctly.

Sometimes doing God's will is like assembling two chaise lounges--there are directions, there is opportunity, there is need. But there are also the competing elements of fatigue, minimal mechanical ability and hard work.

When I survey my life as a believer, and my service to God--sometimes I am impassioned by the opportunity and need, and congnizant of the directives of scripture. But arguing against this on the human side are my tiredness, the self- appraisal of my ability (or lack of it) and the demands of what is required.

I hopefully choose to do God's will--no matter what the competing reasons to do otherwise. Ignoring it--just assuming that if I leave the chaise lounges in the garage they will assemble themselves or someone else will come to do it--is not an acceptable option. Recognizing that the chaise lounges are mine to assemble (with clear directions) is the critical step to enjoying their benefits during the hot summer months when I want to relax in the afternoon sun.

By the way, the two chaise lounges still need some finishing touches. I have some work left to do. So...when will I take the next step?

I can hear my wife calling...

No comments: