Thursday, March 04, 2010

Fitness


Through the generosity of a friend I was provided a gym membership this year. Because he paid for it, I am doubly-motivated to utilze it, even though some days it is a real struggle to get out of bed at 5 a.m., and dirve the short distance it is from my home. it's that old refrain--"the spirit si willing but the flesh is weak"..and cold, and tired.

Today was one of thos mornings. Awake at 4:20 a.m., I had a quiet conversation with myself about a long fourteen hour day behind me and a twelve hour day ahead of me. I applauded myself for how well I had been doing and contemplated the reward of staying in bed and taking a break--something I have not done in the last eight week regimen (even on my vacation week in Dallas I walked..alot!)

Here's the good news. By 5:30 a.m. I was riding feverishly ona stationary bike t the gym and celebrating my will power that catapaulted me olut of bed and into my regimen of exercise. The goal for me s fitness. I am not seeking to become a Charles Atlas look-alike, nor am I competing with the guys who have the "I lift big bar bells" swagger about them. Some of the ladies bike faster than me and there are some older men who look stronger and certainly thinner.

But I want to be a fit grandpa--able to do all the things that I love to do into the last quarter of my life (I did not say that for effect...there is, hopefully, another quarter left!)

Fitness is a spiritual goal for me as well. Am I spiritually fit? Am I ingesting the Word of God as a part of my daily diet? Am I exercsing the principles of God's Word in my daily life? Am I "beefing up" my spiritual muscle by hiding God's Word in my heart?

Some mornings I am tempted to take a break--"I'll pray later" (I remember when the next crisis emerges), or, "I'll study when I get to the office" (and a day of unannounced appointments ravages my time), etc. When that happens with consistency over a period of time, spiritual malnutrition and weakness settle in.

Next appointment at the gym is Saturday mornng.

See you there...?

1 comment:

LiseWickPhotography said...

not unless your friend is still feeling generous, ha ha. I would love to afford one full year of gym membership. What a blessing you were given!:-)