Tuesday, January 29, 2008

sore throats


It started Friday--I could feel it coming--atacking my throat with itchiness, scratchiness, occasional pain, and a violent onslaught of mucuos. I know, it's not a pretty picture...but it is what it is, and it happens almost every winter at least once.


Sunday morning I awakened with my throat raw, my sinus cavity filled, and my voice raspy and weakened even though I was deliberate and intentionally quiet on Saturday--a difficult challenge for me any day of the week. But it was a huge church day with an important comgregational meeting, a special worship service and a potluck to follow. And I like potlucks--not so much for the food (I am always at the end of the line and it is usually "slim pickins")--but for the fellowship. People talk more when they are eating!


I made it through my sermon and headed for the potluck line just thankful I finished. It is amazing how God blesses what we do--however scratchy and raspy it may sound--when we are focused on simply serving Him.


It also reminds me that God is the one who makes the difference. No matter how eloquent we think we are or how resonant the sound of our voices (God, help me...), it is the work of the Holy Spirit alone that translates the message. God can use me, if He chooses, and He can use me even if I have a "sore throat". To God be the glory!

No comments: