Friday, February 01, 2008

SIXTY...AND COUNTING


It is a sobering thought to consider your life is--generously speaking--75% over. As I celebrated my sixtieth birthday this week, surrounded by an avalanche of well-wishers and "doom-sayers", I have reminded myself this is a significant time in my life.


Why?


1. I want to finish well. There is nothing maudlin about thinking about being on the final quarter of a mile track. I can remember what is was like to run that final quarter--fatigued and worn from the first three--and hoping to sprint to the finish line. I never sprinted, but I could usually find some "extra oomph" to finish the race upright!


2. I want to live as if to prepare myself for heaven. I don't want to sneak in by the "skin of my teeth". I want to celerate my hope in Christ and say with Paul, "To me to live is Christ and to die is gain!" I have watched some of older saints of our church cross into eternity and I want to make a triumphant entrance as well by the grace of God.


3. I want to spend myself investing my resources in what really matters--my children and grandchildren, my friends--and in my sphere of ministry, seeking to reach those who don't know Christ, and strengthening those who are following him.


I couldn't even blow out my own birthday candles because I had a cold and sore throat (read earlier blog), not a great way to enter my seventh decade. But I was surrounded by my friends and my sixtieth birthday was something I truly celebrated!

1 comment:

Colored With Memories said...

Happy belated birthday! Jerry's parents beat you there, and mine are headed there this year and next! You're in good company!