Monday, May 14, 2012

Where do we go for help?

The Israelites were facing the challenge of the Assyrians and were contemplating asking their adversarial neighbors, the Egyptians, to join them.  In Isaiah 31 he warns the Israelites against this.  Here are some key verses I noted as I randomly opened my Bible for my morning devotions.


"Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel or seek help from the Lord..."


As I think about the challenges before me--nothing like the Assyrian armies, but potentially overwhelming because they stretch me beyond my personal resources--I am often tempted to figure out what plan or program I should follow to attack the problem.  I am tempted to despair because when I look at my own arsenal of "weapons", I realize my impotency.

God does not ask us to look for creative resources when up against a challenge.  He does not ask us to compromise with the enemy to make our way easier.

He wants us to ask Him for His help.

What a novel idea!  The Creator of the universe, Sovereign God--He invites us to come to Him, and warns against the folly and futility of looking elsewhere.

I think I can do that.  I know I should do that. I will do that.







No comments: