Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Time with a daughter


I love my children--all four of them--and two step-children who I happily consider my won, Additionally, I have three daughters-in-law and one son-in-law who are a special part of the extended family we call our own.

Occasionally--not nearly often enough--we get to spend time with our children. We were recently with two of our sons and eight of our grandchildren over Thanksgiving and we will be with one of my sons and a daughter and their families--including three grandchildren!--over New Years. These are special times for me, especially as I grow older and relish our times together.

Last week my youngest daughter who is single and a licensed therapist joined us for a few days, all the way from Nashville, Tennessee where she has lived for the last twelve years. Needless to say, I don't see her nearly enough so this visit was one I anticipated with excitement.

When i reflect upon our time I realize that we really didn't do anything spectacular---except spend quality time together. That included a morning walk, a trip down Main Street in Sutter Creek (worth coming to see for yourself!), dinner out at a local Mexican restaurant, a favorite place in El Dorado hills, a brunch at Andrae's (everyone in Amador County has sampled their exquisite homemade breads), and a quick stop on the way to the airport at Burger King(ugh!). We also drove to some familiar territory in Pine Grove where we once lived, attended church where I preached, and played cards (Shanghai, any one?) and sampled cheese and wine together.

A highlight was a Barrett reunion where all local family member joined us including Grandma, and pregnant cousin, Stephanie, who will become a mother again later this week. It was a special time of catching up with one another and sampling Beverly's exquisite snacks and Christmas cookies.

That sounds like alot of activity, but the centerpiece of it all was just being together. I loved reminiscing, talking about matters of personal significance, sharing our dreams for the future, listening to counsel from a loving daughter (remember, she's a therapist...and we asked her), and reaffirming the special place she has in my heart.

Daughters are special. They have a special niche in a father's heart and this past weekend my heart was warmed and enriched by time with my daughter. Hopefully, we'll do it again soon..

No comments: