Thursday, January 27, 2011

the advantages of getting older


I will turn 63 this month and move ever-closer to the generally-accepted birthday of retirement--65. I have been thinking reluctantly about what that will look like and am becoming convinced there are some serious advantages to getting older, in spite of the recurrent discordant echoes I hear of the "golden years" not being so golden...

*I seem to learn faster. The old saying--"Experience may be the best teacher but it is the msot expensive"--has merit to which I can attest. I have less time left to learn and so I am intentionally doing it more quickly, and less relucantly.

*I have new bifocals but, surprisingly, I see things better than I ever have. I look a little more deliberately and stop to focus with greater clarity on what's going on around me.

*I don't run like I used to but I walk more and find the process more exhilarating than the fast-paced exercise done on a track with a stop watch or on a treadmill with the televison blaring. The outdoors invigorates me no matter what my pace is.

*I don't enjoy the buffet line any more where I used to stuff myself until I was sick. I eat less...and do the once unthinkable--split a meal with my wife. I used to live to eat and now it's more about eating to live. (A double cheeseburger at In and Out Burger still hits the spot!)

*As a teenager I couldn't wait to get out of the house; now I treasure the times I drive the 60 miles to Stockton to visit my mother, now almost eighty-seven years old. I also have eleven grandchildren (and six children) who I can't see enough to satisfy my deepest desires.

Another advantage of getting older is a heightened appreciation of each day. With a hopefully-calculated more than two-thirds of my life lived, I recognize the value of a phone call to a family member, a quick getaway with my wife, a shared family vacation, an evening with special friends, an afternoon with a book in hand and the sound of the ocean in the background...

But the greatest benefit of all is founded on the fundamental hope I have about where this all ends--or begins--depending on your theology or philosophy of life. I called on an 87 uyear old man this morning as a part of my work as a Hospice chaplain, prayed with him (he was in a coma) and visited with his family. Just a few minutes ago I was told he had died. How quickly it ends...or begins. My faith is built on the conviction that God has made us for eternity, and because I have trusted in Him for salvation, the benefit of that is eternal life with him.

The advantages of getting older include all the above...and the promise--that eternity with a God who made us and loves us-- awaits us. I am 63...but better things are ahead!

No comments: