Tuesday, December 21, 2010

disappointment


I hate to be disappointed.

And I was this week. Deeply.

It really doesn't matter "why" or "who" or "when" or even "what". As I have thought about it I realize that I must be a disappointment to others--just because I am so aware of the offensive words I can say, the disapproving looks I can give, the promises I don't keep, the flaws in my voluntarily-offered judgmental skills, my inappropriate reactions...and the list goes on.

I can also argue in behalf of the "disappointers"--they love me, they are living their lives the way they think best, they are being straight-forward in their communication with me and they are not setting out to hurt me. For sure.

But...I am still disappointed.

I can mitigate those feelings of disappointment that seem overwhelming for the moment by remembering that even without trying I successfully manage to disappoint others, and to remember there is only one who does not disappoint us--the Lord Jesus Himself.

"And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out His love into our hearts..." and the context of Romans 5:5ff goes on to tell us that that "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us".

That is a powerful declaration about the certainty of what we hope for in Christ. While others may disappoint us, He will not.

2 comments:

stevebezan said...

Someone should have given you a thumbs up on this by now. Very well put. Came across this while looking for pictures like the one you used.

stevebezan said...

Someone should have given you a thumbs up on this by now. Very well put. Came across this while looking for pictures like the one you used.