Friday, September 04, 2009

loneliness


Sometimes being surrounded by people masks the real loneliness we feel. We may have lots of relationships, even a closely-knit family...but we can still be lonely.

We feel loneliness because we cannot share with anyone how we truly feel. Or, we are so overwhelmed by the demands of everyday life that we are unable to nurture meaningful relationships that are not couched in terms of work responsibility and family duty.

Sometimes it is just our own fault. We are never fully honest about our real feelings because it is not safe to share them, or we suspect others would be disappointed if they knew the real "me", or had a up close and personal look at our personal demons.

In the midst of such loneliness stands the shadow of One who whispers, "I will never leave you or forsake you", or, "I am with you always"--words that should bring comfort because they affirm we are never really alone. Because we cannot see God, nor often do we feel His presence, it is an exercise of faith to reach into the shadows and embrace Him.

I choose to do that today...will you?

2 comments:

LiseWickPhotography said...

So eloquently put, Dale- amen. People can feel absolutely alone in the midst of a crowd (or even congregation)because of that lack of connection with others on a personal level. Other times they have plenty of connections, but emotions or depression skew their perceptions of those relationships. I just love the way you share God's Word, Dale, and pray nothing but His finest blessings for you and Bev.
In His love,
liseanne

Debee Bracho said...

Pastor Dale that blog really touched me. I am not really involved in Church these days. In fact; I am not even sure what or if I believe. Quite frankly there are plenty of things I don't really miss. I don't miss pious judgments, Church politics, hypocrisy, and doctrinal debates and confused religious ideology etc. But I do miss Prayer!

I have never been one who shied away from expressing my feelings and putting myself out there(as is evidenced by this response) However, my willingness to share, never guaranteed that anyone actually "got it" and or really cared. When I prayed I felt like God "Got it." He "knew" me in a way that nobody else could or would. I found an immense amount of comfort in that. It definitely staved off the loneliness that I and most others have to face at different points in our lives. Thanks for reminding me about that and keeping that little bit of "faith" alive in me. This is a profound moment for me right now and again, Thank you.