Tuesday, September 08, 2009

computer crazy


We were without a computer hookup this weekend and so we both went crazy!

Not really...but it is something to see how dependent we are upon wireless communication. Alas! Even my I-Phone would not work at home due, apparently, to a systemic problem with our service provider.

Today the computer is working at home, the I-Phone is retrieving messages and, for the moment, our sanity has been restored.

What did we do before computers?

*We used the telephone....it's that thing on your desk.

*We walked to our neighbor's to deliver messages...I know, it's hot out there.

*We sent letters in our own handwriting to friends (my friends prefer computer-generated messages from me).

*We used the encyclopedia to retrieve needed information...it was good exercise just lifting the volumes.

*We got directions from a map or called and asked how to get there...instead of plugging in our GPS.

*We only had 2-3 choices of where to eat; now we weigh the options on an I-Phone application that reveals, location, prices, type of food, and ambiance!

*We actually shopped at real stores...instead of online with a "basket" to hold our heightened orders as we appropriate online discounts.

And there's a bunch of other stuff we could mention that make our computers indispensable...or not?

I survived the weekend--talked to my friends, ate good food, found my way around town and shopped for what I needed at the mall. Not a recipe for the best weekend ever, but my wife and I had a great time togetehr and we are no worse off for our computer-deprived four days.

We actually spent alot more time talking and walking.

I may be crazy but I think I feel better today.

No comments: