Monday, August 10, 2009

Learning to live with less...


The very thought of "cutting back" carries the idea of pain and discomfort. Still, it is my conclusion that it is the season for financial pruning at the Barrett home.


I am embarassed sometimes by the sheer number of shoes, shirts and pants I have neatly stored in my closet. I recently assauged some of my guilt when I discovered someone else in my church family who wore size thirteen shoes and I handed off some of my overflow to him (there are still more to give away).


I am disappointed by my whining and complaining when something I have planned goes awry and I have extra unexpected expenses or work to meet the demands of the situation. But I always find away to muster the resources to do what I have to do (because I have the resources...duh!).


Beverly and I often rehearse how God has blessed us. Our chidlren and grandchildren are all well, both of our mothers are bright and fucntional at age 85, our home is a "paradise" to us, we have vehicles that run, I have a great job, and we even have some "toys" that we enjoy (a travel trailer we could live in some day), etc.


So I Timothy 6:3-10 reminds me of a critical point--"...godliness with contentment is great gain". The secret to learning to live with less is being grateful for what we have, and content in what God has provided for us. I am still learning this. Paul writes young Timothy, "But if we have food and clothing we will becontent with that." The problem is that I am not "young" any more and I am either a slow or reluctant learner...or both.


There is an integral link between "godliness" and "contentment". To be godly is to seek after the things of God, to take seriously His Word, to be aware that He is in the process of molding us into the image of His Son. When we are in that mindset, it is much more easy to be content because when we realize the faithfulness of God in meeting our needs our "wants", I believe, are less compelling.


So I am challenging myself to learn to live with less--I don't need another pair of shoes, I can wear that shirt another year, I won't die without a morning Starbucks, I can function without a membership at the local gym (that's why I bought my treadmill in the first place), and I would rather eat at home than eat out in Amador County anyway (I live that "home cookin'").


And if I live on less, I can do more. I'll share more about that with you in my next blog. Read I Timothy 6:11-21 for the rest of the story!



No comments: