Monday, July 27, 2009

reflections on a weekend


We came home Friday from fifteen days in the redwoods camped five miles from the ocean near Santa Cruz, sheltered from the high heat of Amador County, where it chose to hover between 100-107 degrees while we were gone.

It was a special time complete with delicious days with kids and grandkids, good times with great friends, and quiet moments alone taking in the grandeur of our surroundings. The end result was a reluctant departure and a relective trip home.

Punctuating our warm welcome at home was the task of unloading our trailer, washing a ton of dirty clothes and preparing for a big weekend.

*Saturday I traveled to Stockton on personal business, caring for a difficult situation that is stretching our family.

*It was also a day to tie together the loose ends of a Sunday School lesson on Samuel, and a sermon from the 146th Psalm--both tasks I welcomed.

*Sunday we returned to our church fsmily and the familiar feel of a Lord's Day in Amador County.

*I taught and preached and felt inspired by the time I had away to get refurbished and refreshed. (I had good material...God's Word!)

*A highlight was a reunion with a former teenager from a church I pastored--now a pastor's wife with three beautiful teenage daughters. They worshipped with us and joined us for lunch with other friends.

*Sunday afternoon it was a failed attempt at a nap followed by an hour on the treadmill topped with toasted cheese sandwiches and some Home and Garden television.

*This morning it was ten hours at the office of primarily administrative work and "catch up" from the two weeks away.

I am back at the computer tonight with the distant sounds of a Giant ball game taking shape and the quiet hum of a fan blowing in my face. It was 107 degrees on the thermometer in downtown Jackson on my way home but by now it has cooled down, according to my I-Phone, to 97 degrees.

It was a good weekend--not quite like being tucked away in the redwoods basking in the cool breeze of the nearby ocean. But it is home--wherewe live and where we minister each week. And I like it here!

No comments: