Wednesday, February 18, 2009

restless...or resting?


restless.

I am like that most of the time. Admittedly, as I have gotten older the restlessness is more about waking up too early. In the past--and even now--it is the drivenness of my nature that ahs caused me unrest, as well as my proclivity to worry about things.

David's comments in verse 3 of the 62nd Psalm are third person, but, I believe, reflect David's own questioning restless heart.
"How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down--this leaning wall, this tottering fence..."

Often we feel like we are teetering on the brink of inevitable collapse. The temptation is to increase the activity to fix whatever is bugging us, hoping that will bring rest. Someone observed that many of us are like a chicken running around with its head cut off--lots of activity but in the throes of death.

So where dow e find rest from all of it...the pressure, the worries and anxieties, the "assault" of the enemy that David alludes to his cry to God?

The 62nd Psalm, interestingly, bookends David's cry for help in verse 3 with similar promsies of help and "rest in God".

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shalen" (verses 1,2)

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge", verses 5-8.

Here are a few things for us to lay our heads on...

1. God alone is the true source of rest.
2. Such rest is to be sought in Him...and found.
3. Our security in Him helps us to "never be shaken".
4. He is our hope.
5. God is the one who will defend my honor.

Why would I then, not trust in Him and, at the very least, pour out my heart to Him? True rest is all about my relaitonship to God, and utilizing the resources He uniquely provides.

restless.

But learning to find "rest in God".

No comments: