Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hospice


I am doing some work with Hospice of Amador County as a spiritual counselor-chaplain. Today was my first opportunity to sit at a table with Hospice employees and volunteers and to be educated about how expansive their services are.

I have always been impressed with the hospice workers I have encountered over the years I have been in ministry. Their care and commitment in making someone comfortable as they approach the end of their life is noteworthy as well as the personal interest they take in the network of family members and close friends. For many of them, I sense, it is a special "calling", although they might characterize it differently.

It is a "high calling", from my perspective, because the message communicated through quality hospice care from my point of view as an observer is that one's quality of life should be preserved and protected as long as it is humanly possible. The dignity of life is emphasized and the value of each person--in spite of age and mental facility--is ennobled.

I look forward to providing the kind of spiritual care that our faith in God provides as we face death and eternity. That is the ultimate care we can provide for our loved ones. I'll keep you posted on what I learn along the way.

2 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

what a great investment of your time. i used to work for VNA Hospice...i agree...it seems to be a calling!

Lise said...

Hi Pastor Dale,
I have a sweet friend that works with Hospice- Leslie Swager, LCSW? We used Hospice in my mother's terminal cancer two years ago- what a blessing. It made the death process almost a privelege to be a part of. Death is such a spiritual thing, yet so many push it away and avoid it as much as possible. I'll look forward to hearing how the Lord uses your Hospice training. In His love, liseanne