Monday, October 27, 2008

why pray?


I have been asked that question several times and the rationale for asking is based on several familiar points of conjecture...

"...if God is sovereign and has already decided what He is going to do, why should we pray?"

"...if God already knows the end from the beginning how can we possible alter His divine plan?"

"...if God is going to do "His will"--as well He can--what is the purpose of prayer?"

The context for such questions generally revolves around issues like the necessity of voting, the concern for unsaved loved one and the inevitability of suffering and death. Why pray if God has already "cast His vote?"

Several very simple reasons come to mind.

1. God commands us to pray.

2. God invites us to come to Him boldly in time of trouble to find "grace and help".

3. Jesus prayed, and set an example for us. Why would He have prayed knowing full well the Father's plan?

4. The Word of God promises results if we pray, i.e. "the fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (KJV).

5. Prayer acknowledges my confidence in God and affirms my dependence upon Him.

As the election nears, I will cast my vote with he confidence that I have prayerfully done what I should have done and then, I will rest in the results with the certainty that God is in control.

As I pray for unsaved loved ones, I am reminded that God loves them more than I do, and I can know He will exhaust His resources in calling them back to Himself.

And, as I counsel those going through suffering, and some facing death, I am grounded on the promises off God's word and His assurance He will stand by us, strengthen us and, in the end, save us for eternity.

That's why I begin every day with prayer and my default system in any situation is "Pray!"

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Good Post!