Friday, October 24, 2008

how much stock do we take in the stock market?


I met with a financial advisor today. Ouch.

The monies we have placed in the stock market for retirement are about 50% of what they were three months ago. Retirement is merely a dream for me today.

As we try to salvage our remaining funds I am struck for the moment with a sense of panic. I feel sick to my stomach.

I am remembering that there are literally millions of people in our country who have lost their homes, their savings--some have lost their pensions with failing companies. Where will they turn? What will they do?

Psalm 31 closes with these words, "Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord". I am asking myself...

1. Is my hope in the Lord?

2. If it is--and I insist it is--why should I feel weak and sick?

3. Will I, then, "take heart"?

I'll let you know how well I do; at this moment I am praying that God will help me refocus my faith in Him...and not take so much stock in the stock market.

No comments: