Tuesday, August 16, 2005

TRYING TO FIX A PROBLEM...that another person doesn't think needs fixing


I am a "fixer" by nature. It is frustrating when I see a problem I can't fix.

The older I get, and the longer I serve as a counselor, the more I realize I really can't fix anything. Sometimes God may use me as a tool to do the repair work that is His to begin with.

A real obstacle to fixing something is agreeing that it needs to be fixed. I was recently in a meeting where someone whose need seemed apparent to everyone else, had no perception that he had a need at all. In fact, he was indignant at the idea.

So, there are a few "fix it" lessons for the day!

1. It's hard to "fix" someome when they don't think they need "fixing".

2. Even if they acknolwedge they need a "fix", we are not the "fixers". Only God can bring the needed mending.

3. Therefore, my job, when dealing with broken people, is to direct them to their only true source of help, Jesus Christ, the Great Physician (the Great "Fixer")!

1 comment:

Suzette said...

Yesterday I prayed for some word of encouragement from God. Lord give me your perspective. And today I read this. What a blessing.

My sister-in-law is dying of alcoholism realated complications. It is a horribly painful way to die. She is stablized right now and says she is getting well and is going home instead of into a treatment program. She is not saved and is very hard hearted.

To the "Great Fixer" I say "Lord if you are willing you can make her spiritually well. If there is anything we can do Lord lead us."