Friday, August 05, 2005

THIS IS WHY

I am certain every minister has had those moments--mostly on Monday mornings--where he has asked himself, "Why am I doing this?" That question could be the response to poor attendance, a bad offering, an unkind editorial remark about his preaching, a complaint about his ministry in general...

When you have a congregation of 500-600 people, each with their own unique personalities, differing opinions, and distinctive theological ideas, it is almost arrogant to assume that everyone will be supportive, agreeable, and enthusiastically devoted to helping you build the church!

And, then, there's the "me" factor. I am well aware of my shortcomings--and there are those who have made it their job to remind me--and I know that I could very easily alienate someone without trying, offend someone with what I say, and generally be unappealing to someone who has a whole other idea of what a minister and ministry ought to look like.

I am learning this.

Every once in awhile, something happens that helps mute the disappointment of unmet expectations. Someone comes into my office and says...

"I just gave my life to the Lord about seven months ago.
I want to be baptized.
I can't wait to come to Sunday School and church to hear the Word of God.
I am trying to teach my children what I am learning and how to apply the things we learn each Sunday to our everyday life.
My boss has commented to me about the change in my life.
I am more conscious about how I treat the people around me; I see it as my ministry.
Thanks, Pastor."
That's why I am doing this. "Forgive me, Lord, when I complain."

No comments: