Thursday, September 19, 2013

Away from the pulpit

It has been eight months since I last preached, following my departure from Grace Fellowship.  I have been asked to preach in November at the new church I attend..  I am trying to decide. I am deciding what I want my new life to look like. (Of course, God's opinion here is most important)

It has been good to listen.  It has been instructive to pray for other preachers.  It has been less stressful to not prepare a sermon.

Being away from the pulpit has compelled me to look to other avenues for ministry and to identify other focuses.  And it has been a healthy pursuit.

I've been able to fellowship with others without feeling responsible for them.  I have been able to go to church without worrying what others will think about worship.  I have been able to go to church without worrying about who's missing.

Instead...
*I'm attending a men's book study I don't have to lead and getting acquainted with other men.
*I attended a SS class my stepson taught, and and a church service where my other stepson preached--on the same Sunday.
*I sit in church surrounded by some of my grandchildren.
*I am mentoring someone who needs a pastoral mentor.
*I am practicing road biking so I can join a fellow retired pastor who has ridden over 7,000 miles the last few years.
*I am counseling...new clients this week.
*I am spending more time with Beverly,a special unplanned blessing. (Maybe you should check with her)
*I am looking for people in my sphere of influence to encourage.
*I am studying the Word for personal help and guidance...not sermon preparation.
*I am getting ready to return to Haiti for the ninth time in November to help teach and train pastors.

I am away from the pulpit...but ministry continues...because life is ministry.





No comments: