Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Simply trusting...

An old hymn has this familiar chorus--"Trusting as the moment's fly, Trusting as the days go by, Trusting Him what'er befall, Trusting Jesus that is all..."

"Trusting Jesus, that is all..."  Now, admittedly, that seems a bit simplistic, and unsophisticated.  It sounds as if there is no element of human responsibility and we have license to just hang it all on Jesus.

"Trusting Jesus, that is all..."  In the end, that is all there is that really matters.  Good planning, careful anticipation of issues, assumption of personal responsibility--all of these things are critical and should not be abandoned or minimized.

I've done all that most of my life--planned, anticipated, assumed responsibility.  But I have learned all of that can be for naught.  In the end, our best laid plans unravel, what we could not have anticipated occurs, and what we thought we had covered is not enough.  Some thing falls through the cracks, and often, it is simply the rhythm of life with all of its nuances and idiosyncrasies that surprises us and takes our breath away.

Where do we go from here?  We got laid off and there was no failure in our job performance, and worse yet, no warning. We loved our spouse, but suddenly, without notice, we discover there is an unwelcome third party.  We make a careful investment with a recommended reliable contact, only to lose it all.  We make plans...asking God's blessing, and feeling no hesitation we move ahead, only to see them go awry. And as life seemingly spins out of control, we are left wondering where we missed the cue.

"Trusting Jesus, that is all."  What comfort is there in this?  For me, it is where I pitch my tent.  At the end of the day here is what I know.  God knows me.  God loves me (go figure...).  God will take care of me (it'ss His promise).

 I choose to trust Him.


No comments: