Tuesday, May 31, 2011

willing workers

All day today two-three men have been working in a small bathroom adjacent to our church offices. The local authorities have said that our office structure, an old house built in the 1870's, had to be brought up to building code for safety, A littany of small, painstaking tasks were identified and a small cadre of faithful men have been diligently tackling each one.

They are not being paid, and the tasks they are doing they have had to do, undo, and redo, due to the mercurial nature of local building inspectors.

But as I listen to them today, they are laughing, singing,visiting, verbalizing together the wonderful unity of men with a common purpose working together to serve the Lord in the most menial ways.

When I say "menial", it is not a form of deprecation; I admire these men. They are skilled laborers--an enginer, a school shop teacher, a mechanic. What may seem "menial" from a worldly point of view, is incredible craftsmanship to me as they figure out how to apply new standards to an old tired victorian house.

I am in my office, doing administrative work and trying to study. I am tired. The work I do everyone notices and even sometime applauds. The faithful work of these willing workers goes by largely unnoticed...except that I am confident God takes note and seesall that we do as workman to His glory and for His glory.

I appreciate the willing workers around me, who serve God behind the scenes. They make the work I do in the office seem menial, in comparison to theirs.

I am glad that God sees us all.

No comments: